Advertisement

India

Updated on: Monday, October 11, 2021, 10:18 AM IST

India-China border talks: Impasse continues after 13th round as Chinese side not agreeable, says Army - All you need to know

The Indian side pointed out that the situation along the LAC had been caused by unilateral attempts of the Chinese side to alter the status quo and in violation of the bilateral agreements
Indo-China border range | File pic for representation

Indo-China border range | File pic for representation

Advertisement

New Delhi: The Chinese Army was not agreeable to the constructive suggestions put forth by the Indian Army during the 13th round of talks to resolve the remaining friction points or areas along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and hence the talks concluded without any results, the Indian Army said in a statement on Monday.

During the meeting, the Indian side made constructive suggestions for resolving the remaining areas but the Chinese side was not agreeable and also could not provide any forward-looking proposals. "The meeting thus did not result in resolution of the remaining areas," the Army said, in its statement on the 13th round of corps commander level talks held in Moldo on the Chinese side of the LAC on Sunday.

Points of discussion

The Army said that during the meeting, the discussions between the two sides focussed on the resolution of the remaining issues along the LAC in Eastern Ladakh.

The long-pending issues along the LAC include the Daulat Beg Oldie and Demchok area whereas the Hot Springs area is the last friction point to be resolved from the ones that came up last year post the unilateral Chinese aggression there.

The Indian side pointed out that the situation along the LAC had been caused by unilateral attempts of the Chinese side to alter the status quo and in violation of the bilateral agreements. "It was, therefore, necessary that the Chinese side take appropriate steps in the remaining areas so as to restore peace and tranquillity along the LAC in the Western Sector," the statement said.

The Indian Army asserted this would also be in accord with the guidance provided by the two Foreign Ministers in their recent meeting in Dushanbe where they had agreed that the two sides should resolve the remaining issues at the earliest.

"The Indian side emphasised such resolution of the remaining areas would facilitate progress in the bilateral relations," the statement said.

Outcome of the talks

During the meeting, the Indian side, therefore, made constructive suggestions for resolving the remaining areas but the Chinese side was not agreeable and also could not provide any forward-looking proposals. The meeting thus did not result in the resolution of the remaining areas.

The Army said the two sides have agreed to maintain communications and also to maintain stability on the ground.

It is our expectation that the Chinese side will take into account the overall perspective of bilateral relations and will work towards early resolution of the remaining issues while fully abiding by bilateral agreements and protocols.

Meanwhile, the Chinese Army has also issued a statement after a meeting in which it has said that New Delhi's "unreasonable and unrealistic" demands have added difficulties to the negotiations to resolve the matter.

The Chinese side has said India should not misjudge the situation but instead the Indian side should cherish the "hard-won situation" along the LAC.

The situation so far

The top commanders of the Indian and Chinese military had last met in July at the Chushul-Moldo border meeting point on the Indian side. The talks had reportedly lasted for nearly nine hours during which the two sides had agreed to resolve the remaining issues in an expeditious manner in accordance with the existing agreements.

The 13th round of talks took place in the backdrop of two recent incidents of attempted transgressions by China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) troops -- one in the Barahoti sector of Uttarakhand and another in the Tawang sector in Arunachal Pradesh, as per a zeenews report.

The Indian and Chinese army personnel were reportedly engaged in a brief face-off near Yangtse in Tawang last week and it was resolved within few hours after talks between commanders of the two sides as per established protocols.

In August, close to 100 soldiers of PLA had reportedly transgressed the LAC in the Barahoti sector and returned from the area after spending few hours.

Earlier, Army chief Gen Manoj Mukund Naravane had discussed the increase in deployment of Chinese soldiers across border and said it was a cause for concern.

Advertisement

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Published on: Monday, October 11, 2021, 10:18 AM IST
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement