Guwahati, August 22: Assam drivers on Saturday night suspended their road blockade against Meghalaya-registered vehicles at Jorabat following assurances from the Assam and Meghalaya governments on the safety and security of vehicles and passengers in both states.
Final Decision Awaited After SIT Probe Into Vehicle Damage
Assam State Drivers Association president Dhrubaraj Asom said the blockade had been suspended temporarily and that a final decision would be taken after the report of the Special Investigation Team (SIT) constituted by the two governments to probe the damage to vehicles and injuries to drivers and passengers.
“We have suspended the blockade temporarily. The final decision will be taken only after the SIT report,” Dhrubaraj said.
The decision to suspend the blockade was taken after a discussion with a joint delegation of Assam and Meghalaya led by Assam Minister Atul Bora on Saturday evening.
However, sources in the Meghalaya Taxi Association said entry of Assam vehicles into Meghalaya would be allowed only after a meeting with the Assam Drivers Association. They said the issue of damage to two Meghalaya-registered vehicles was still unresolved.
