Former Bollywood actress Mamta Kulkarni turns 46 today. She was a 90s bombshell who made fans crazy. Born on April 20, 1972 into a Maharashtrian family, Mamta got name and fame quickly in the film industry, but not for much time. In 2000, she went missing, and it was later revealed that she was in touch with the underworld. A look at the personal and profession life of Mamta Kulkarni.
1. Mamta Kulkarni debuted in 1992 with ‘Tirangaa’. She acted with A-list stars like Akshay Kumar, Govinda and Shah Rukh Khan.
2. After Juhi Chawla and Madhuri Dixit rejected a topless photoshoot for a magazine, Mamta took on the challenge, not worrying about how it would affect her career
3. After working with A listed stars like Akshay Kumar, Shah Rukh Khan, Saif Ali Khan, and, Aamir Khan, she went missing, in 2000
4. In an interview to a Bollywood journalist, she is said to have admitted to being in a relationship with drug mafia Vicky Goswami. Vicky was arrested in Dubai on the charge of drug trafficking. He was also charged for establishing and running two factories that produced Mandrax or Methaqualone (a highly addictive sedative), more than 11.5 tonnes of which were seized from him according to press reports. Even, Mamta Kulkarni’s named featured as a prime accused in the Rs 2000 crore drug racket. According to reports, the duo was detained in a joint operation carried out by the Drug Enforcement Agency of the US and the local Mombasa police.
5. In 1997, Vicky was arrested and was given a 15-year prison term in Dubai. To save Vicky, Mamta put her career at stake. She left for Dubai, both of them adopted Islam. Mamta changed her name to Ayesha Begum and Vicky to Yusuf Ahmed.
6. Vicky’s prison sentence was reduced to 10 years. According to reports, Mamta and Vicky secretly married in Dubai jail. She, in interviews, has claimed that she is still single.
7. According to a report, she claimed that when Vicky was jailed, she left doing make up for him. Mamta admitted that still loved Vicky and went through a penance to get him released from prison. According to Mamta, Vicky is innocent and was a victim of a conspiracy, aimed at usurping all his money.
8. The Thane Police on March 28, 2017 issued a non-bailable warrant against actress Mamta Kulkarni and drug lord Vicky Goswami in connection with the drugs haul case.
9. The name of the duo surfaced in the chargesheet was filed, and the duo was declared absconding since their names surfaced in the case. Goswami is in U.S. custody. In January, Goswami, Ibrahim and Baktash Akasha as well as Gulam Hussein were extradited from Kenya to the U.S.
10. Kulkarni, who spoke through a pre-recorded video clip at the press conference, said, “They are talking about Rs 2000 crore which I don’t have. You can say I just have Rs 25 lakh. I have just got few fixed deposits like may be Rs 15,20 or 30 lakh. I worked for 10 years in Bollywood. I did 30 to 40 concerts. All the properties that they were trying to investigate was bought in 1994 and 1995 with my hard earned money and they want to take it. I have no problem. I am a Yogini, you can take anything from me.
“My passport copies are there, my passport pages are there with all the entries, my bank statements are there, if anybody wants to challenge it, then can do so. I have nothing to hide. The Thane police have seen my statement; they have not found anything against me. Due to some pressure, the Thane cops are hell bent on implicating me and that too without any evidence. Whatever they are investigating, they can do so but not at the cost of my name and reputation which is being tarnished unnecessarily because of my proximity to a certain individual.”