Kitex withdraws from Rs 3,500 cr investment project in Kerala; receives offers from several states

Kitex withdraws from Rs 3,500 cr investment project in Kerala; receives offers from several states

PTIUpdated: Saturday, July 03, 2021, 03:15 PM IST
article-image
Kerala government was yet to approach him after he had announced withdrawal from a Rs 3,500 crore investment project in the state, alleging harassment by government officials |

Sabu Jacob, chairman of Kitex group, on Saturday said while he has received unofficial communications from over 10 states and an official offer from Tamil Nadu, to take his investment there, the Kerala government has not made any efforts to approach him.

Jacob told PTI that principal secretaries and ministers from states across the country have been calling him up to discuss taking his Rs 3500 crore investment there from Kerala, but he has not yet taken a decision on it. He said he has also received an official offer from neighbouring Tamil Nadu and that too was under consideration.

However, the Kerala government was yet to approach him after he had announced withdrawal from a Rs 3,500 crore investment project in the state, alleging harassment by government officials.

After Kitex announced its withdrawal from the project, Kerala Industries Minister P Rajeev on June 30 said that though the government has not received any official complaint from Kitex, a major apparel manufacturing company, the issue would be taken seriously. He had also said that the industrial sector was on the path of revival and offered the government's full support to genuine investors.

Kitex Garments Ltd had said it has decided to withdraw from the project signed during the "Ascend Global Investors Meet" organised by the state government in Kochi in January2020.

Jacob had earlier said it was difficult for him to run the existing industrial units in the State. He had alleged that various units of Kitex were raided 10 times by officials from various departments during the past one month. Jacob had alleged that officials comprising 40-50 in numbers, entered the factory units, carried out searches, prevented workers, including women employees, from doing their job, grilled them and harassed them.

He had also claimed that the officials did not reveal the reasons for conducting such searches and what violations were committed by the company.

RECENT STORIES

FedEx Breaks Ground On ₹2,500 Crore Automated Mega Cargo Hub At Navi Mumbai Airport To Redefine...
FedEx Breaks Ground On ₹2,500 Crore Automated Mega Cargo Hub At Navi Mumbai Airport To Redefine...
Locker Owners In PNB’s Delhi Branch Report Missing Jewellery; Police Start Investigation
Locker Owners In PNB’s Delhi Branch Report Missing Jewellery; Police Start Investigation
E2E Networks Hits Upper Circuit After Nvidia Announces Partnership During India AI Impact Summit
E2E Networks Hits Upper Circuit After Nvidia Announces Partnership During India AI Impact Summit
‘Cannot Say When I Will Return’: Vijay Mallya Tells Bombay High Court, Says UK Court Orders Stop...
‘Cannot Say When I Will Return’: Vijay Mallya Tells Bombay High Court, Says UK Court Orders Stop...
Sensex Closes 283 Points Higher At 83,734, Nifty Ends Up 94 Points At 25,819 On Late Buying In Bank...
Sensex Closes 283 Points Higher At 83,734, Nifty Ends Up 94 Points At 25,819 On Late Buying In Bank...