Banks across the country will be shut for 21 days in all in October. These include seven weekends, one national holiday and 13 state-specific holidays.
Banks all over India will remain shut on October 2 for Gandhi Jayanti-a national holiday. However, all banks except those in Imphal and Shimla will remain shut on October 15 on account of Vijaya Dashmi.
Banks will remain shut across Gangtok on October 1 due to the half-yearly closing of bank accounts. Banks in Agartala, Bengaluru, and Kolkata will remain closed on October 6 due to Mahalaya Amavasye. Banks across Imphal will be non-operative on October 7 on account of Mera Chaoren Houba of Lainingthou Sanamahi.
Banks will remain closed on October 12 across Agartala and Kolkata due to Durga Puja (Maha Saptami). Banks will be shut across Agartala, Bhubhaneshwar, Gangtok, Guwahati, Imphal, Kolkata, Patna and Ranchi due to Durga Puja (Maha Ashtami).
On October 14, banks will remain closed across Agartala, Bengaluru, Chennai, Gangtok, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kochi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi, Shillong and Thiruvananthapuram on October 14 on account of Durga Puja/Dussehra (Maha Navami)/Ayutha Pooja.
According to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) guidelines, public and private banks will be closed on a couple of days in addition to second and fourth Saturdays and Sundays in October, owing to festivals. As per guidelines, banks remain closed on all public holidays but there are some holidays that are regional, i.e. restricted to certain states only. Regional holidays are decided by respective state governments.
The Reserve Bank of India divides bank holidays into three categories—those under the Negotiable Instruments Act, the Negotiable Instruments Act and Real-Time Gross Settlement Holiday and Banks’ Closing of Accounts.
Bank holidays in October 2021:
1. October 1 (Friday)- Half Yearly Closing of Bank Accounts (Gangtok)
2. October 2 (Saturday) - Gandhi Jayanti (All states)
3. October 3 - Sunday
4. October 6 (Wednesday)- Mahalaya Amavasye (Agartala, Bengaluru, Kolkata)
5. October 7 (Thursday) - Mera Chaoren Houba of Lainingthou Sanamahi (Imphal)
6. October 9 - 2nd Saturday
7. October 10 - Sunday
8. October 12 (Tuesday) - Durga Puja (Maha Saptami) / (Agartala, Kolkata)
9. October 13 (Wednesday)- Durga Puja (Maha Ashtami) / (Agartala, Bhubaneswar, Gangtok, Guwahati, Imphal, Kolkata, Patna, Ranchi)
10. October 14 (Thursday) - Durga Puja/Dussehra (Maha Navami)/Ayutha Pooja (Agartala, Bengaluru, Chennai, Gangtok, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kochi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi, Shillong, Srinagar, Thiruvananthapuram)
11. October 15 (Friday)- Durga Puja/Dasara/Dusshera (Vijaya Dashmi) will take place and all banks will have a holiday for that day except the banks located in Imphal and Shimla.
12. October 16 (Saturday) - Durga Puja (Dasain) / (Gangtok)
13. October 17- Sunday
14. October 18 (Monday) - Kati Bihu (Guwahati)
15. October 19 (Tuesday) - Id-E-Milad/Eid-e-Miladunnabi/Milad-i-Sherif (Prophet Mohammad’s Birthday)/Baravafat / (Ahmedabad, Belapur, Bhopal, Chennai, Dehradun, Hyderabad, Imphal, Jammu, Kanpur, Kochi, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, New Delhi, Raipur, Ranchi, Srinagar, Thiruvananthapuram)
16. October 20 (Wednesday) - Maharishi Valmiki’s Birthday/Lakshmi Puja/Id-E-Milad (Agartala, Bengaluru, Chandigarh, Kolkata, Shimla)
17. October 22 (Thursday) - Friday following Eid-i-Milad-ul-Nabi (Jammu, Srinagar)
18. October 23 - 4th Saturday
19. October 24 - Sunday
20. October 26 (Tuesday) - Accession Day (Jammu, Srinagar)
21. October 31- Sunday
(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)