Satna (Madhya Pradesh): A four-year-old boy from Uttar Pradesh underwent surgery through Foley catheter technique at the civil hospital here after he accidentally swallowed Rs 5 coin while playing at his house. The parents spent three days visiting several nursing homes in Karvi and Banda of Uttar Pradesh before finding relief at Satna district hospital in Madhya Pradesh. The boy named Aryan Saket got the coin stuck in the upper part of his oesophagus or the food pipe. Due to the obstruction, he was in immense pain and vomited every time he tried to eat anything.
The parents got to know about the coin through an X-ray done at a nursing home. At Satna civil hospital, Dr Sunil Karkhur, a paediatrician, immediately attended the child. Dr Karkhur said, “The boy was in extreme discomfort due to coin. Any further delay to extract the object could have led to possible life-threatening conditions such as infection or rupture of food pipe.”
The team of doctors who successfully takes out coins from a patient's oesophagus. | FP Photo
After taking all necessary precautions, the team including Dr Sanjeev Prajapati and nursing staff Sunena Rajak and Sandeep Patel technique successfully extracted the coin in no time. The boy was kept under observation for some time. Once he could eat normally and showed no discomfort anymore, he was discharged.