India Confirms Safety Of 22 Seafarers After Pirate Attacks On Foreign-Flagged Vessels
Twenty-two Indian seafarers aboard two foreign-flagged vessels reportedly hijacked off Yemen and Somalia are safe, the Indian High Commission in Kenya said. MT Sibu carried 16 Indians and MV Lutuf had six Indian crew members. The MEA said it is in touch with relevant authorities to ensure their safety.

India Confirms Safety Of 22 Seafarers After Pirate Attacks On Foreign-Flagged Vessels | X - Cyrus_In_The_X
Nairobi, Aug 21: The High Commission of India in Kenya on Friday confirmed the safety of 22 Indian seafarers on board two foreign-flagged vessels which pirates off the coast of Somalia reportedly hijacked.
Indian seafarers confirmed safe
"We have taken up the matter of Indian seafarers on board vessels MT Sibu (Eritrea-flagged) and MV Lutuf (Cameroon-flagged) with the concerned authorities in Somalia. It is understood that there are reportedly 16 Indian seafarers onboard MT Sibu and 6 Indian seafarers onboard MV Lutuf. All Indian seafarers are reportedly safe. We attach the highest importance to the safety and welfare of the Indian seafaring community," the Indian High Commission in Kenya stated on X.
The Eritrea-flagged oil products tanker MT Sibu 1, carrying 20 crew members - including 16 Indian nationals, one Syrian, one Sudanese and one Iraqi - was reportedly hijacked on Thursday by six armed pirates in the Gulf of Aden, roughly 30 nautical miles off the coast of Yemen.
Another vessel, MV Lutuf, with 10 sailors on board, including six Indians, was seized off the coast of Somalia's Puntland region.
MEA monitors situation
Earlier in the day, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) noted that it is in touch with the relevant authorities on this matter to ensure the safety and well-being of Indian seafarers.
Also Watch:
"These are two ships flagged abroad, meaning they are flying the flag of another country. There are 22 Indian citizens on board- 16 on one ship and six on the other. So far, we have learnt that all 22 of our citizens on board are safe. We are in touch with the relevant authorities on this matter so that we can ensure the safety and well-being of our people," MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said during a bi-weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Friday.
MEA has maintained that India treats the safety and security of its vessels and seafarers as a subject of high importance and attaches high priority to the issue, with Indian missions remaining in constant contact with the Ministry of Shipping, as also with maritime authorities in those countries and other authorities as well, so that as and when any support is required to be provided to the seafarers or Indian-flagged ships, they can do that.
(Except for the headline, this article has not been edited by FPJ's editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
RECENT STORIES
-
England Crush Pakistan By Innings & 103 Runs In Headingley Test -
Reservation Hatao Andolan: Delhi Police Detains Anti-Quota Protesters At Jantar Mantar, Cite Lack Of... -
India Confirms Safety Of 22 Seafarers After Pirate Attacks On Foreign-Flagged Vessels -
Bhiwandi Murder: 2 Arrested For Allegedly Killing Trailer Driver During Robbery Bid; 150 CCTV... -
Panvel Sound System Operators Seek Relief From Strict Police Action Ahead Of Dahi Handi, Ganeshotsav...
