Canada To Match US Tariffs 'Dollar For Dollar' After Trade Talks Collapse; Carney Blames Unfair Last-Minute Terms

Canadian PM Mark Carney announced that Canada will match new US tariffs “dollar for dollar” after trade talks collapsed ahead of an August 21 deadline. The US imposed 50% tariffs on billions of dollars of Canadian goods, including wine, dairy, cement and clothing. Carney blamed unfair last-minute US terms, while Washington accused Ottawa of backing away from commitments.

Add FPJ As a
Trusted Source
Canada To Match US Tariffs 'Dollar For Dollar' After Trade Talks Collapse; Carney Blames Unfair Last-Minute Terms
Aleesha Sam Updated: Saturday, August 22, 2026, 01:24 PM IST
Canada To Match US Tariffs 'Dollar For Dollar' After Trade Talks Collapse; Carney Blames Unfair Last-Minute Terms

Canada has announced plans to match new US tariffs “dollar for dollar” after trade negotiations between the two countries collapsed ahead of a Friday night deadline on August 21.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said the talks had failed to make enough progress to meet Canada’s objectives, prompting Ottawa to suspend negotiations and recall its negotiating team.

US Imposes 50% Tariffs On Canadian Goods

According to BBC, the United States has imposed 50% tariffs on billions of dollars worth of Canadian goods, including products such as wine, dairy, cement, clothing and hockey equipment.

The new measures come on top of existing US tariffs affecting Canadian steel, aluminum, automobiles and lumber, further escalating tensions between the two major trading partners.

Carney: ‘Unfair, Uneconomic’ Changes Derail Deal

In a statement, Carney said last-minute changes to the US proposal were “unfair” and “uneconomic” and raised questions about the reliability of any potential agreement.

“At midnight tonight, the U.S. intends to impose a 50% tariff on roughly $28 billion of Canadian goods. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses,” Carney said.

The Canadian government is also expected to announce additional support for workers and businesses affected by the tariffs, building on nearly $25 billion in assistance already provided.

Washington Blames Ottawa For Breakdown

The US administration offered a different account of the failed negotiations. According to India Today, US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer accused Canada of declining to finalise the deal on terms that had reportedly been agreed earlier in the week.

Greer claimed Ottawa had introduced new demands or reversed earlier commitments, despite US offers that included tariff reductions covering sectors such as steel, aluminum, automobiles and lumber.

Talks Had Raised Hopes Of A Deal

The latest breakdown comes after weeks of heightened trade tensions and intensive negotiations. US President Donald Trump had earlier threatened to impose the 50% tariffs, with the measures initially expected around August 19.

The deadline was subsequently delayed as both sides reportedly made progress and expressed optimism about reaching an agreement. However, the negotiations ultimately failed to produce a deal.

Canada Signals Shift Towards Trade Diversification

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has backed a strong Canadian response to the US tariffs, while Ottawa has indicated that strengthening the domestic economy and expanding trade partnerships beyond the United States will remain a priority.

Carney has previously stressed the need for Canada to build economic strength at home while diversifying its international trade relationships.

The latest tariff escalation marks another major setback in Canada-US trade relations and raises fresh concerns for businesses and workers on both sides of the border.

Published on: Saturday, August 22, 2026, 01:24 PM IST

RECENT STORIES