'False And Misleading': Delhi Police Debunks Video Claiming Reservation Protest At Jantar Mantar

The police further clarified that no protest related to the issue was taking place at the venue. It also said prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS), which replaced Section 144 of the CrPC, were already in force across the New Delhi district.

Add FPJ As a
Trusted Source
'False And Misleading': Delhi Police Debunks Video Claiming Reservation Protest At Jantar Mantar
Vinay Mishra Updated: Sunday, August 23, 2026, 05:18 PM IST
'False And Misleading': Delhi Police Debunks Video Claiming Reservation Protest At Jantar Mantar

The Delhi Police on Sunday dismissed as “false and misleading” a video circulating on social media that purportedly showed a large gathering protesting over reservation reforms at Jantar Mantar on August 23.

In a post on X, the DCP New Delhi said no permission had been granted for any such protest at Jantar Mantar on Sunday.

The police further clarified that no protest related to the issue was taking place at the venue. It also said prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS), which replaced Section 144 of the CrPC, were already in force across the New Delhi district.

Under the orders, protest marches, processions, demonstrations and assemblies involving five or more people are prohibited.

The Delhi Police urged citizens not to amplify, forward or share unverified information circulating on social media.

It also warned that legal action could be initiated against people found creating or disseminating fake news.

The clarification came amid the circulation of the video claiming that a large gathering had assembled at Jantar Mantar in connection with demands related to reservation reforms. Police said the claim was not based on the situation at the venue on August 23.

Published on: Sunday, August 23, 2026, 05:18 PM IST

RECENT STORIES