Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir Departs For Tehran; US-Iran Agreement Expected

Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir departed for Tehran amid expectations of a breakthrough US-Iran agreement, mediated by Pakistan. As talks showed “good signs,” US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said progress had been made. Meanwhile, Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi held high-level meetings in Tehran to discuss proposals aimed at resolving the conflict and promoting long-term regional stability.

Add FPJ As a
Trusted Source
Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir Departs For Tehran; US-Iran Agreement Expected
Aayush Shrivastav Updated: Friday, May 22, 2026, 07:07 PM IST
Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir Departs For Tehran; US-Iran Agreement Expected

Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir | File Pic

Pakistan's Army Chief, Asim Munir, departed for Tehran on May 22 amid expectations of a possible announcement of an agreement between Iran and the United States aimed at ending months of deadlock and tensions in West Asia that had repercussions across the world.

The final draft of the agreement between Washington and Tehran, reportedly mediated by Pakistan, is expected to be announced within hours.

Responding to queries about Munir’s reported trip, Foreign Office spokesperson Tahir Andrabi said he could “neither deny nor confirm” media reports regarding a “high-level delegation” from Pakistan visiting Iran.

Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Thursday that he believed Pakistanis would be travelling to Tehran today, even as Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi was already in the Iranian capital holding discussions with senior political leaders.

Rubio also noted that while there were “good signs” in the ongoing talks with Iran, “other options” remained available. “I don't want to get ahead of it ... I think we've made some progress,” he said.

Clarifying Rubio’s remarks, Andrabi stated that the US Secretary of State was referring to Naqvi’s visit to Iran and not to any other delegation.

He further said that Pakistan’s leadership remained in contact with the Iranian President, describing the outreach as part of routine diplomatic engagement with neighbouring countries and adding that “this is part of engagements with neighbouring countries”.

This follows a series of high-level diplomatic engagements by Pakistan's Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi in Tehran, where he held a second meeting with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi within 24 hours to review proposals aimed at resolving the US-Iran conflict.

Naqvi, who arrived in Iran on an unannounced visit earlier this week, has already met President Masoud Pezeshkian and other senior Iranian leaders. According to Iranian and Pakistani media reports, the discussions focused on detailed proposals to bridge differences between Tehran and Washington, end the ongoing standoff, and explore mechanisms for ensuring long-term regional peace and stability.

Sources said Naqvi is expected to remain in Tehran for further talks linked to the indirect US-Iran negotiations, although Pakistani authorities have not publicly commented on his diplomatic engagements.

Published on: Friday, May 22, 2026, 06:56 PM IST

RECENT STORIES