Mumbai Businessman Duped Of ₹53 Lakh In Overnight ‘Digital Arrest’ By Cyber Fraudsters
In a shocking case of cybercrime, a 60-year-old businessman from South Mumbai was allegedly kept under a ‘digital arrest’ overnight and duped of Rs 53 lakh by a group of cyber fraudsters posing as senior law enforcement officials.

Mumbai Businessman Duped Of Rs 53 Lakh In Overnight ‘Digital Arrest’ By Cyber Fraudsters | Representational Image
In a shocking case of cybercrime, a 60-year-old businessman from South Mumbai was allegedly kept under a ‘digital arrest’ overnight and duped of Rs 53 lakh by a group of cyber fraudsters posing as senior law enforcement officials. The incident occurred on November 2, and a case has been registered by the Central Region Cyber Police.
Scam Begins with Fake TRAI Officer Call
The victim, a resident of Agripada, received a call from a man identifying himself as Rajiv Sinha, an officer of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI). The caller accused him of being linked to a fraudulent SIM card and instructed him to appear before Delhi Police within two hours. When the businessman said he could not travel, he was told that a criminal case had been registered against him in Delhi.
Video Call ‘Interrogation’ by Fake Delhi Police Officials
Soon after, the victim received a video call from another man claiming to be Vijay Khanna, an officer of the Delhi Police. The fake official accused him of involvement in a money laundering case, alleging that his Aadhaar card had been used to open a bank account in Delhi’s Dariyaganj area. The fraudsters then transferred the call among multiple men posing as senior officials from the “Anti-Corruption Branch” and “Directorate of Enforcement,” displaying fake notices and official-looking letterheads.
Held Overnight, Forced to Transfer Money
Throughout the night, the businessman was kept on the video call and instructed not to leave his room, as he was told he was “under arrest” until an online bail hearing the next day. During the fake hearing, the fraudsters issued him a forged Supreme Court notice and ordered him to transfer Rs 53 lakh to a ‘nationalised bank’ account.
Realisation and Police Complaint
When the scammers demanded more money, the businessman grew suspicious. Pretending to go to the toilet, he managed to escape the room and called the police helpline 1930. A case has been registered, and investigations are ongoing.
With PTI Inputs
Published on: Tuesday, November 11, 2025, 03:57 PM ISTRECENT STORIES
-
Robotic Buoy Saves Second Life At Raigad's Kashid Beach, Rescues Pune Tourist Dragged Into Deep... -
Tulsi Gabbard Resigns As US Intelligence Chief, Cites Husband's Rare Bone Cancer Diagnosis -
CBI Arrests Pune Teacher Manisha Havaldar For Leaking NEET UG 2026 Physics Paper To Co-Accused -
VIDEO: Virat Kohli, Travis Head Exchange Heated Words During Fiery SRH Vs RCB Clash In Hyderabad -
ITM Business School Launches MBA In Applied AI To Prepare Students For AI-Driven Corporate Roles And...
