Ranveer Allahbadia, Samay Raina, Ashish Chanchlani & Other YouTubers Booked For 'Promoting Obscenity And Engaging In Vulgar Discussion' In Guwahati, Says Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma

Earlier today, Shiv Sena UBT parliamentarian Priyanka Chaturvedi announced her intention to address the matter in the IT & Communication standing committee.

Vinay Mishra Updated: Monday, February 10, 2025, 10:25 PM IST

Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma in a social media post on Monday stated that Guwahati Police has registered an FIR against YouTubers Ashish Chanchlani, Jaspreet Singh, Apoorva Makhija, Ranveer Allahbadia Samay Raina and others for promoting obscenity and engaging in sexually explicit and vulgar discussion in a show titled ' India's Got Latent'.

Assam CM informed that the Guwahati Crime Branch has registered a case under various sections of BNS 2023, IT Act, 2000, Cinematograph Act 1952, and ⁠Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act, 1986.

Guwahati Joint Police Commissioner, Ankur Jain told ANI, "We have got one FIR explaining how these YouTubers have made comments on the father, mother and child relationship and how they in a very obscene manner represented this some vulgar act they have done on a YouTube show. So we have registered one FIR... We are identifying who these YouTubers are - the main host was Samay Raina and the person who made the comment which is shown in the clip is Ranveer Allahabadia and the others are also there. We are trying to identify them and then we will be taking the strictest measures possible in this case."

He said that the police investigation into the matter is ongoing.

Earlier today, Shiv Sena UBT parliamentarian Priyanka Chaturvedi announced her intention to address the matter in the IT & Communication standing committee.

Taking to X, Priyanka slammed Ranveer Allahbadia for his 'vulgar' comment in the show and stated, "I will be raising the issue regarding the show called India’s Got Latent as a member in the standing committee of IT& Communication for the kind of vulgar, blasphemous content that is passed off as comedy. We need to set boundaries since these platforms influence young minds and they are passing off absolute rubbish as content. The language used by Ranveer Allahabadia which was also actively encouraged by others on that ‘comedy panel’ is unacceptable."

Facing widespread criticism, Allahbadia issued a video apology on Monday, acknowledging his poor judgment and confirming that the controversial segments had been removed from the show's recording. In his statement on X, he admitted that his attempt at humor was both inappropriate and unfunny, conceding that comedy isn't his strength.

Published on: Monday, February 10, 2025, 08:06 PM IST

RECENT STORIES