MLA Prashant Thakur Demands Halt To Panvel-Uran Land Acquisition For Virar-Alibag Corridor
MLA Prashant Thakur has demanded an immediate halt to compulsory land acquisition for the Virar-Alibag Multimodal Corridor in Panvel and Uran until compensation is finalised. In a letter to Deputy Collector Janardan Kasar, Thakur said farmers should not lose land before a government decision and warned of agitation if the process continues despite assurances.
Panvel MLA Prashant Thakur | File Photo
Navi Mumbai: MLA Prashant Thakur has demanded an immediate suspension of the compulsory acquisition of farmers’ land in Panvel and Uran talukas for the Virar-Alibag Multimodal Corridor (State Highway Special No. 4) until the government takes a final decision on compensation.
Letter Sent To Deputy Collector Over Ongoing Acquisition Process
In a letter to Deputy Collector (Land Acquisition) Janardan Kasar, Thakur urged the administration not to undertake any further land acquisition proceedings until a final decision is reached at the government level on compensation for affected farmers. He also warned of an intense agitation if the process is not stopped.
Land belonging to farmers in Panvel and Uran talukas is being acquired for the Virar-Alibag Multimodal Corridor. Thakur had earlier written to Revenue Minister Chandrashekhar Bawankule seeking an increase in compensation rates.
Government Had Assured Fair Compensation During July Meeting
Following his demand, a meeting of elected representatives and officials was held on July 8, 2026, during the monsoon session to discuss the issue. At the meeting, the government assured that affected farmers would not receive compensation at a rate lower than the rate previously determined and that necessary action would be taken at the government level.
However, Thakur has expressed strong displeasure over information that the compulsory acquisition process is continuing despite the assurance.
Farmers’ Land Linked To Livelihood And Future Security, Says Thakur
“Farmers’ land is an important source of their livelihood as well as their future financial security. It would not be appropriate to proceed with compulsory acquisition before a final decision is taken on compensation and without taking the affected farmers into confidence,” Thakur said.
He said the continued acquisition process was creating confusion, stress and resentment among affected farmers. According to Thakur, the assurance given at the government-level meeting must be implemented effectively and affected farmers must receive fair and just compensation.
ALSO READ
“Until the government takes a final decision on compensation and completes the necessary action, the compulsory land acquisition process being undertaken by your office should be stopped immediately,” Thakur said in his letter.
He also urged the Deputy Collector to immediately bring the matter to the attention of senior authorities and take necessary steps to ensure effective implementation of the decision taken at the government meeting.
Thakur warned that if the acquisition process is not suspended, he would be compelled to launch an intense agitation outside the concerned office in support of the legitimate rights of affected farmers. He also stated that the administration would be responsible for any situation arising from the agitation.
To get details on exclusive and budget-friendly property deals in Mumbai & surrounding regions, do visit: https://budgetproperties.in/
RECENT STORIES
-
CM Devendra Fadnavis Launches Navi Mumbai Police’s Campus Connect Campaign To Fight Drug Abuse... -
Australia’s Victoria University Delhi Campus To Offer STEM, Management And Global Learning... -
MLA Prashant Thakur Demands Halt To Panvel-Uran Land Acquisition For Virar-Alibag Corridor -
'NTA Needs Deep Structural Strengthening, Replacement Not Solution': Former UGC Chief Mamidala... -
Treesa Jolly And Gayatri Gopichand Clinch Historic Bronze After Fighting Loss In World Championships...
