Two Education Protests Intensify At Bhopal's Neelam Park Over Teacher Posts, School Closures

Two education protests gained momentum at Neelam Park in Bhopal on Sunday. Teacher recruitment candidates demanded more posts and a second counselling round, with one candidate observing a hunger strike. Meanwhile, the School Bachao Sangharsh Samiti protested against government school closures, seeking better infrastructure and more teachers. Women candidates also joined the agitation.

Add FPJ As a
Trusted Source
Two Education Protests Intensify At Bhopal's Neelam Park Over Teacher Posts, School Closures
FPJ Web Desk Updated: Sunday, August 23, 2026, 06:08 PM IST
Two Education Protests Intensify At Bhopal's Neelam Park Over Teacher Posts, School Closures

Two Education Protests Intensify At Bhopal's Neelam Park Over Teacher Posts, School Closures |

Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh): Two separate education-related protests were staged in Madhya Pradesh capital Bhopal on Sunday, with participants raising concerns over teacher recruitment and the closure of government schools.

Candidates from across Madhya Pradesh have been staging an indefinite protest since Aug 21 at Neelam Park, demanding an increase in posts under the Secondary and Primary Teacher Recruitment-2025. 

They have also sought a second round of counselling, alleging that the government advertised fewer posts despite a large number of vacancies.

Meanwhile, the School Bachao Sangharsh Samiti organised a state-level convention against the closure of government schools. 

Students, teachers and parents from different districts attended the event. The committee demanded that the government improve infrastructure and appoint more teachers instead of shutting schools.

Candidate on hunger strike for 42 hours

Narendra Rajput, a resident of Biaora, has launched an indefinite hunger strike demanding additional teacher posts. 

He claimed that he had not consumed food or water since midnight on Aug 21 and had completed nearly 42 hours of fasting by Sunday.

Tehsildar Preeti Chaurasia, who was present at the protest site, said the candidates’ demands would be forwarded to the state government. She added that Narendra’s condition was stable.

Narendra said he was protesting for thousands of candidates who had been preparing for teaching jobs for years. He added that the candidates wanted to present their demands peacefully.

Women candidates join protest with children

Several women candidates have joined the protest with their children. Indore resident Deepti Singh Thakur is staying at the park with her daughters, aged five and eight. She said this was her 13th protest demanding more posts.

Another candidate, Saroj Kushwaha, reached the protest site with her young son Madhav.

Despite mosquitoes, poor access to water and toilets, and safety concerns near the pond, the women said they would continue protesting until their demand was addressed.

Published on: Sunday, August 23, 2026, 06:09 PM IST

RECENT STORIES