Washington : The US has lifted a ban on admissions to refugees from 11 countries whose applicants it designated “high-risk” and announced tougher vetting measures to weed out potential extremists and criminals.
The Trump administration refused to identify 11 ‘high-risk’ nations, citing “law enforcement sensitivities”. But officials with knowledge of the list said the countries included Egypt, Iran, Libya, South Sudan, Yemen, Sudan, Iraq, Mali, North Korea, Somalia and Syria.
All but North Korea and South Sudan are Muslim majority.
Applicants from these “high-risk” countries will face more extensive background checks from US screeners, according to administration officials, and the government will move to implement what it characterized as a more rigorous model for identifying possible threats.
“These additional security measures will make it harder for bad actors to exploit our refugee programme and they will ensure we take a more risk-based approach to protecting the homeland,” Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said in a statement.
“The US must continue to fulfil its obligation to the global community to assist those facing persecution and do so in a manner that addresses the security of the American people,” she said.
The new measures will include additional interviews of applicants’ family members and close scrutiny of potential ties to organized crime, US officials told reporters.
An official said the high-risk determination for the 11 nations “has nothing to do with religion”.
The enhanced security measures will also increase information sharing among the US agencies tasked with vetting refugee applicants.
The high-risk list will be reviewed every six months and countries could be added or removed based on evolving assessments of security threats to the US.
Last year, US President Donald Trump signed a directive setting the country’s annual refugee cap at 45,000, the lowest annual limit since 1980. It is one of a string of limits he imposed on the US refugee programme.
The US has admitted roughly 6,500 refugees since the 2018 fiscal year began in October compared with about 32,000 during the same period last year, according to State Department figures.
Trump vows to finish Taliban
Washington: US President Donald Trump has ruled out talks with Taliban and vowed to “finish” them following a wave of deadly attacks in Afghanistan that killed over 130 people. Meanwhile, Taliban on Tuesday threatened the US with more violence and bloodshed after Washington ruled out peace talks with the rebels for unleashing a wave of carnage on Afghanistan.