Manila: The death toll in typhoon Haiyan that hit the Philippines last week has risen to 2,275, Eduardo del Rosario, the executive director of National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Wednesday, reports IANS. Del Rosario told a press briefing that 3,665 people were injured and 80 others were still missing, according to Xinhua. Philippine President Benigno Aquino III said on Tuesday that the projected number of the dead from the typhoon is 2,000 to 2,500, lowering an earlier estimate by a local police official that the death toll might top 10,000 in Tacloban City alone.
Asked if the number of casualties would surpass the president’s estimate, del Rosario said: “We do not like to speculate. It’s better if it will not increase… Let us not speculate.” Del Rosario explained that the high number of casualties was due to a storm surge caused by Haiyan.