Seoul: North Korea today said that it planned to carry out a third nuclear test and more rocket launches aimed at its “arch-enemy” the United States in response to tightened UN sanctions.
Following a UN Security Council meeting this week, the communist state hurled fresh invective at its US-led foes in a statement from its National Defence Commission, without specifying when the atomic test might be carried out.
But it said the test — which would follow detonations in 2006 and 2009 that were hotly condemned around the world — would be part of an “upcoming all-out action” that would mark a “new phase” of the country’s anti-US struggle.
“We do not hide that the various satellites and long range rockets we will continue to launch, as well as the high-level nuclear test we will proceed with, are aimed at our arch-enemy the United States,” the commission said.
“Settling accounts with the US needs to be done with force, not with words,” it added in the statement, carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.
It did not elaborate on the meaning of “high-level”. Some experts have predicted that the North’s next atomic test might be of a uranium bomb, rather than the plutonium devices it detonated on the two previous occasions.
Such a development would indicate it had mastered the sophisticated technology needed to produce highly enriched uranium (HEU).
The North’s threat coincided with a visit to Seoul by the US special envoy on North Korea, Glyn Davies, who urged Pyongyang not to challenge the international community with a third test.
“Whether North Korea tests or not, it’s up to North Korea,” Davies told reporters after a meeting with his South Korean counterpart, speaking shortly before the North’s statement.
“We hope they don’t do it, we call on them not to do it. It would be a mistake and a missed opportunity if they were to do it,” he said.
South Korea’s foreign ministry spokesman voiced deep regret over the test threat and urged Pyongyang to heed the international community’s “constant warnings” against further provocative acts.
Much of the North’s statement was devoted to condemning Tuesday’s announcement by the UN Security Council of expanded sanctions against Pyongyang in response to its long-range rocket launch last month.
Tuesday’s resolution, proposed by the United States, was adopted unanimously by the 15-nation council, including the North’s sole major ally China.
China, which had sought to shield North Korea from harsher sanctions sought by the United States and its allies, appealed yesterday for restraint and diplomatic efforts to avoid a dangerous escalation of tensions.
“The DPRK’s (North Korea’s) satellite launch as well as speculation of a nuclear test highlight the urgency and importance of settling relevant issues on the Korean peninsula,” foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei told reporters.