London : The former personal assistant of Britain’s Prince Philip has been charged with sexually abusing a girl while he was working for the royal family in the 1970s, prosecutors said, reports AFP. Benjamin Herman, 79, was the personal assistant or “equerry” to the 93-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth from 1971 to 1974.

A spokesman for the Crown Prosecution Service said Herman would appear in court on Monday.

“He is charged with three counts of indecent assault between 1972 and 1974 on a girl aged around 12,” the spokesman said. Herman’s role was to attend to Philip’s engagements and personal matters, and he later became the head of the household of Philip’s daughter Princess Anne.

Newspaper the Daily Mirror reported that police had examined Philip’s official diaries from the time and had taken statements from former palace staff.

A police spokesman would not comment on whether former palace staff had been interviewed, and a spokesman for Buckingham Palace declined to comment.

Britain has been rocked by a series of scandals involving historic child abuse by prominent figures.

The Mirror reported that the alleged victim had come forward following the 2012 revelation that the late BBC presenter Jimmy Savile was a prolific sexual predator, which sparked a wave of investigations.

(To view our epaper please click here. For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in