Death penalty likely for Boston bomber?

Washington : The United States is to seek a rare federal death penalty for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the surviving young student accused of the Boston marathon bombings, Attorney General Eric Holder has said, reports AFP.

Death penalty likely for Boston bomber?

Three people were killed and about 260 wounded on April 15 last year when two bombs made of explosives-packed pressure cookers went off near the finish line of the Boston marathon. Several of the injured lost limbs. Tsarnaev, then 19, and his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev were cornered by police after a four-day manhunt. Tamerlan died after an exchange of fire with police and Dzhokhar was wounded. “The nature of the conduct at issue and the resultant harm compel this decision,” Holder said in a statement yesterday on the prosecution of the 20-year-old, a US citizen from a Chechen Muslim family.

Experts say the announcement — which was widely anticipated — is partly a symbolic gesture to the American public, for whom the bombings reignited traumatic memories of the September 11, 2001 attacks, and does not necessarily mean Tsarnaev will be executed if found guilty. The shaggy-haired onetime student has pleaded not guilty to 30 federal charges related to the bombings.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in