New York : The Pakistani woman suspect in the California mass shooting may have travelled to India from Saudi Arabia once in 2013, a year before she came to the US with her husband, a media report said on Tuesday. Tashfeen Malik, 27, had visited Saudi Arabia twice, a Saudi Interior Ministry official was quoted as saying. After one of the visits to the kingdom, she had left for India, the report in New York Times said.
But there are no details about whether Malik had reached India or for how long and where in India she stayed. India has now asked Saudi Arabia to share with it travel details of Malik. This is because the data available with airport immigration in India suggests that no passenger by the name of Malik had entered India on the date mentioned by the Saudi authorities. The sources, however, did not rule out the possibility that she could have travelled under a different name. Fourteen people were killed and 14 injured when Malik along with her Pakistani-American husband Syed Rizwan Farook allegedly opened fire at a centre for the disabled in the Southern California city of San Bernardino last week.
(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)