Holi Hai! The festival of colours brings with it a lot of excitement and you can feel the colours in the air (literally!). When it comes to colours, the ones readily available in the markets are adultered with a lot of harmful substances including silica, lead and alkaline materials, to name a few. These substances pose a high risk of allergies and reactions to skin and hair. These colours are not only a threat to your health but also asks you to shell out a large amount of money. What if you go all natural and make your own colours using ingredients available in your kitchen? Well, you actually can. Here is your quick guide to making natural and organic colours at home using household ingredients.
- Yellow: Use turmeric powder or gram flour for a bright yellow colour. Both are used in face-pack and hence will only help your skin glow. You can also use dry marigold flower powder.
- Red: Use Sandalwood powder or powder dry hibiscus flower for red colour.
- Green: Use Henna powder for a beautiful green colour. Don’t worry about Henna leaving colour as it only leaves colour when it is wet. You can also use dry leaves and crush it in fine powder for the green colour.
- Orange: Dry some petals of the marigold flowers and grind them in a mixer. You will get a yellow coloured powder.
- Pink: Dry beetroots and grind it to make it a fine powder. Mix the powder with gram flour or besan.
- Blue: Dry blue hibiscus or Bluebell flowers and grind it to make beautiful blue colour.
- Other: If you fancy different colours, get flowers of different colours and powder dry it.
- Grind a beetroot and soak in one litre of water. You can even boil the water or rest it overnight for a deeper shade.
- Mix turmeric with water for yellow colour.