Updated on: Saturday, June 01, 2019, 01:24 AM IST

Transformer flames up at Khedapati Zone


Ujjain :  Panic gripped the Dhancha Bhawan area when a down step transformer was engulfed in fire followed by a blast with thumping sound here on Thursday.

Locals said two DISCOM employees were repairing the transformer when the incident occurred. The consumers of Khedapati zone had been suffering unscheduled power cuts and voltage fluctuation from past week. After repeated complaints the employees of DISCOM had reached the area to repair the transformer when the incident occurred.

Residents of the area said the employees who had reached the area for repairing the transformer were unskilled and lacked the proper training, which resulted in the incident. One of the employees was badly burnt in the incident while the other managed to save his life. The residents rushed with sand and water and doused the fire and called for shutting down the power.


While in another case power line on Kothi Road near Collector Bunglow snapped and fell. Thanks to scorching heat the road was empty was the line snapped, or could have been a bigger tragedy. Such prospective blasts are staring the residents in the face with no remedial steps being taken by the authorities concerned.

With a majority of the transformers in the city in a bad condition, a major tragedy is waiting to strike. In fact, the DISCOM officials seem to have failed to learn a lesson from the tragedy. A visit to several areas revealed that sparking in the transformers was a routine affair.

Repeated representations to the DISCOM had fallen on deaf ears with the result that the people had resigned themselves to their fate.


While the PRO Saurabh Shastri at DISCOM said the fire breakout occurred due to technical error and the problem has been resolved.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Published on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 12:45 AM IST