Alonso takes F1 series lead

Monte

Carlo Australian Mark Webber made Formula One history on Sunday when he steered his Red Bull to victory and claimed his first win this year and his team Red Bulls third successive

Monaco Grand Prix victory. It was Webbers second win in the race and the eighth of his career – it also meant six different drivers have won the opening six races of this season – the first time this has happened in the history of the Formula One world championship.

Webber, 35, started from pole position and controlled the race almost throughout as the local micro- climate delivered its usual capricious weather, moving from sunshine and blue skies to rain for the closing laps. But driving with great control

and judgement, he finished the 78- laps race six- tenths of a second clear of secondplaced German Nico Rosberg of Mercedes with twotime champion Spaniard Fernando Alonso third for Ferrari.

Double defending world champion German Sebastian Vettel was fourth for Red Bull ahead of Briton Lewis Hamilton of McLaren and Brazilian Felipe Massa, who came home sixth in the second Ferrari.

Webbers win lifted him to joint second in the driversalt39 world championship with 73 points behind leader Alonso on 76. Vettel also has 73. Hamilton is fourth on 63 and Rosberg – son of Finlands former champion Keke – fifth with 59.

” Ialt39m feeling incredible,” said Webber, who jumped into the harbour after his maiden Monaco win.

” It was an interesting race.

It was reasonably straightforward at the start, getting the gap and managing super- softs and then it was a

me it was a matter of tyremanagement.

I was a bit surprised how strong we were in qualifying and in the race. We probably had the fastest car out there and we are making progress all the time.” Alonso said: ” For me, the target was to try to finish in front of Sebastian and Lewis, as they are with us in the championship. If you go race by race, you aim to finish ahead of different drivers.

Now it is Mark. It will be interesting, as we are constantly developing the car and we are constantly surprised at every race.” Briton Paul di Resta came home seventh ahead of his Force India teammate German Nico Hulkenberg, Finn Kimi Raikkonen of Lotus and 10th placed Brazilian Bruno Senna of Williams.

Webber made a clean and controlled start to turn the 10th pole position of his career into a comfortable early lead ahead of Rosberg with Hamilton also running clear of the field in third.

FORCE INDIA PICKS 10 POINTS

Sahara Force India recorded their best finish of the season with Paul di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg securing seventh and eighth position respectively at the Monaco Grand Prix Sunday. It was the second double finish of the season for Force India since both its cars got into the top 10 at the Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia in March. Force India thus picked up 10 points after Resta and Hulkenberg started in the 11th and 12th position on the grid. The team has so far recorded eight points twice in Malaysia and Bahrain.

Indias Narain Karthikeyan of HRT, meanwhile, finished at the 15th place in the 78- lap race.

(For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in