Pakistan on edge; protesters storm secretariat, PTV office

Islamabad: Pakistan’s powerful Army Chief today met embattled Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to discus the deepening political crisis that has put the country on edge, as hundreds of protesters stormed the heavily-guarded Secretariat and the state broadcaster’s office.

Fresh clashes erupted this morning between police and protesters who forcibly entered the Secretariat here after breaking its gate, hours after the military asked all parties to peacefully resolve the deadlock.

With the over two weeks-long political crisis taking a violent turn, the Supreme Court today offered to assist in ending the ongoing political impasse between Imran Khan-led Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf, Tahir-ul-Qadri’s Pakistan Awami Tehreek and the ruling PML-N government.

During the hearing of petitions filed against the protest marches, the Supreme Court bench gave a one-hour deadline to PTI’s lawyer to inform the court whether they accept its intervention or not.

After a brief calm due to overnight rain, the protesters armed with clubs and sticks this morning broke the gate and entered the premises of the secretariat, defying calls from the army personnel not to enter the building.

Police fired rubber bullets and tear gas shells to push them back but remained unsuccessful. The protesters damaged vehicles of employees of the secretariat.

Later in the day, hundreds of protesters stormed the Pakistan Television’s (PTV) office, blocking its transmission briefly before the army evicted them and secured the building.

Protesters barged into the PTV network office, smashing cameras, and entered the control room. Over 800 protesters entered the building.

Army personnel reached the headquarters of the TV station and asked the protesters to leave the building immediately. The army then took control of PTV headquarters and evicted the protesters.

The fresh clashes came after an emergency meeting of army corps commanders last night.

Reaffirming “support to democracy”, the army reviewed with “serious concern”, the existing political crisis and the violent turn it has taken, resulting in large scale injuries and loss of lives.

The generals, who have ruled Pakistan for more than half of its history since independence from Britain in 1947, said that the “situation should be resolved politically without wasting any time and without recourse to violent means”.

Supporters of Khan and Qadri are battling with the police since Saturday night to reach the front of the Prime Minister’s House.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal