But Gambhir guides Delhi to 38 run win against J&K

New Delhi: Virender Sehwag’s decision to continue batting at No 3 didn’t make much of a difference to his poor form but defending champions Delhi did enough to beat Jammu and Kashmir by 38 runs in the opening fixture of the North Zone leg of the Vijay Hazare Trophy.

Delhi scored 256 for eight in 50 overs after being put into bat on a typical low and slow Feroze Shah Kotla wicket with skipper Gautam Gambhir scoring 58 and adding 99 runs for the opening stand with Unmukt Chand (42).
While Sehwag coming in at No 3 scored only 15, Puneet Bisht (39) and Sumit Narwal (22) threw their bats around as the last couple of overs produced around 40 runs.

In reply, Jammu and Kashmir had a rollicking start with Adil Rishi (36) and Shubham Khajuria (46) adding 72 runs in 11 overs for the second wicket but inexperience caused their downfall as they were all out for 218 in 45.4 overs.

Once Rasool (30, 1×4, 2×6) was gone, J&K didn’t have much chance. Pacers Sumit Narwal (2/32) and Vikas Tokas (2/28) Opting to field on a slowish track, Jammu and Kashmir led by their skipper Parveez Rasool (2/52) and left-arm spinner Waseem Raza (3/58) did well in the middle-overs when stroke-making was extremely difficult.

Skipper Gambhir however looked in good touch as he hit seven crisp boundaries in his 79-ball innings. Playing on a sub-standard track, not conducive for good strokeplay, the left-hander waited for the loose deliveries and completed his 50 with a late cut off Rasool.

The J&K skipper however removed both openers. While Unmukt was bowled trying to whip the offie across the line, Gambhir got a faster delivery and was rapped on the pads trying to play the cut shot with very little room for it. —pti

Groundsman hit by air gun pellet

New Delhi: In a strange incident at the Jamia Millia Cricket Ground, a groundsman on Thursday got injured after being hit by an air gun pellet during a Vijay Hazare Trophy match. As the north zone leg match between Haryana and Punjab was delayed due to wet outfield, 23-year-old Shadab, while trying to get the ground ready, was laid low when a “pellet struck him”. “He was carrying dry soil relating to his work as the match was delayed due to wet outfield,” a ground official said.

“Suddenly he fell to the ground crying with pain, and it was found out that he was hit by an air gun pellet,” the official added. The injured groundsman was immediately rushed to the hospital for medical attention after which he was discharged.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal