Wellington: Former New Zealand international Lou Vincent confirmed on Thursday that he failed to tell authorities when a bookmaker approached him about fixing a match in Bangladesh, but said that was the extent of any wrongdoing.

Vincent said he had pleaded guilty to breaching the ICC anti-corruption code by not reporting the approach while playing in the scandal-tainted Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) last year.”I confirm I rejected this approach at the time. There is no allegation or suggestion that anything untoward occurred beyond the approach itself,” Vincent said.

The 35-year-old added: “I have no involvement in any of the matches, or matters involving the other parties which were the subject of recent hearings and investigation in Bangladesh.”A special tribunal in Bangladesh said on Wednesday that it expected to hand down punishments for Vincent and three other people implicated in the BPL scandal within two weeks.

New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White declined to speculate on what sanction he could face. “We’re concerned that a former New Zealand player has been linked to the ICC’s Bangladesh Premier League investigation,” he told Radio Sport.”Of course, we’re a strong advocate of the ICC’s anti-corruption protocols and we treat this matter very seriously.”

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in