Advertisement

Sports

Updated on: Saturday, June 01, 2019, 01:23 AM IST

Bomb threat at FIFA Congress

Advertisement

Zurich : The FIFA congress resumed after the all-clear was given following a bomb alert at the venue where world football’s governing body were to vote in the Presidential polls.

Zurich police spokeswoman Brigitte Vogt confirmed to AFP that a bomb alert had been received at Zurich’s Hallen Stadium.

The bomb alert had been called in to a media outlet on Friday morning against the FIFA event, Zurich police said in a statement.

Advertisement

Police and FIFA security searched the congress room, but the all-clear was soon given, confirmed FIFA’s general secretary Jerome Valcke.

“An anonymous threat was received against FIFA and after an evaluation, the premises were searched and the all-clear has been given,” said Valcke.

The bomb alert reportedly landed around 11:00 am (0900 GMT).

Advertisement

FIFA was rocked on Wednesday by the arrest of seven officials in a dawn raid on their Zurich hotel.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Published on: Saturday, May 30, 2015, 12:06 AM IST
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement