Woman’s skeleton found in Mumbai home: Son alleges missing complaint ignored by Oshiwara cops

US techie Ruturaj Sahani, who found his 63-year-old mother dead in Oshiwara in Mumbai on Sunday alleged that his missing complaint was ignored by the Oshiwara police last year. Ruturaj said that last year on October 24, 2016, he had filed an online complaint with the Oshiwara police station after his mother, Asha Sahani didn’t respond to his calls. He said that he had even received a confirmation of the registration of his complaint on October 28, 2016, Mumbai Mirror reported.

Meanwhile, Ruturaj informed the society’s managing committee that she planned to move into an old age home. However, even after she stopped paying maintenance for several months, the fellow residents did not even try to open the door forcefully as there was no other family member present.

The 63-year-old was found dead in her apartment and all that remained was her skeleton. According to Mumbai Police, she died months ago. Her son arrived in the city on Sunday and was shocked to see her dead in the apartment. Ruturaj stated that after his complaint, the police didn’t visit his mother’s apartment despite the mentioning of the address in his complaint. Instead, they only called his mom on her mobile number, he claimed. When Asha Sahani didn’t receive the call, the police assumed that she left her house and went to an old age home as she threatened Ruturaj in her last phone conversation with him, the techie said.

Ruturaj mentioned in his statement that his last conversation with his mom ended in a tiff, with her asking him to never call again. He also tried calling her several times, but she never received his calls. After their last conversation, Ruturaj took his mom along to the US hoping she would stay with him. But she returned to India in just a week and vowed to never go back to the US.

Subhash Khanvilkar, senior inspector, Oshiwara police station, said Sahani’s viscera has been preserved and sent to the Kalina Forensic Science Laboratory to find out the time and cause of death. The funeral took place on Monday, the police said to Indian Express.

Meanwhile, the initial investigations have ruled out any foul play. “The door was locked from inside so obviously there was no forced entry. Also, we found Rs 50,000 in cash lying on the bed by the body’s side. That rules out the robbery angle too,” said a police officer to Mid-Day.

(To download our E-paper please click here. The publishers permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal