Mumbai : In the backdrop of the family of acid attack victim Preeti Rathi approaching Bombay High Court for a CBI inquiry, Home Minister R R Patil has washed his hands off from the issue by making it clear that his department had already written a letter in this regard to the CBI. Patil has lobbed the ball in CBI’s court and put the onus on it for delay in the matter.
The State Government is now trying to show that CBI is sitting on the decision. “The state government had demanded that the case be investigated by the CBI in the month of June. The final decision in the matter rests with the central agency,” Home Minister R R Patil said in a statement.
The state home department’s principal secretary had written to CBI chief Ranjit Sinha giving the inter-state ramifications of the attack on Preeti Rathi, Patil added. His statement came a day after Preeti’s father Amar Singh Rathi moved the Bombay High Court, demanding a CBI probe into the incident.
Rathi filed the petition in the court alleging inaction on the part of Mumbai police in arresting the person or persons actually involved in the acid attack on her at Bandra Terminus on May 2. A month later, on June 1, Preeti – who had come to Mumbai to join as a nurse in INS Ashvini, Colaba – succumbed to her grievous injuries. Rathi has also alleged that inaction on the part of authorities and said the Maharashtra home minister had also assured of a CBI probe, but nothing happened afterwards.
Patil dismissed the allegation as baseless. One person was nabbed in connection with the case, but he was later released on bail and Rathi has no faith in the police probe going on in the matter, he added, explaining the decision to move the court.
Preeti suffered severe damage to her lungs and succumbed to her injuries a month later in Mumbai. Her body was shifted to her home in Narela, Delhi,