Sombre milestone: Maharashtra's COVID-19 death toll crosses 1 lakh-mark
Sombre milestone: Maharashtra's COVID-19 death toll crosses 1 lakh-mark
(Photo by AFP)

With 233 fatalities on Sunday (June 6), Maharashtra's COVID-19 death toll crossed the 1 lakh-mark. The state has so far recorded 1,00,130 deaths due to the deadly infection, most of which have happened during the second wave which is still going on.

Besides, the daily COVID-19 cases in Maharashtra have now started showing a downward trend. The state recorded 12,557 fresh cases on Sunday, taking the number of active cases to 1,85,527.

14,433 patients were discharged in the day, taking the tally to 55,43,267. The recovery rate in the state rose to 95.05%. The case fatality rate in the state is 1.72%.

Currently, 13,46,389 people are in home quarantine and 6,426 people are in institutional quarantine.

The Mumbai circle--which consists of MCGM, Thane, TMC, Navi Mumbai, KDMC, Ulhasnagar MC, Bhivandi Nijampur MC, Mira Bhayandar MC, Palghar, Vasai Virar MC, Raigad, Panvel MC--recorded 2420 new cases.

The Nashik circle--which consists of Nashik, Nashik MC, Malegaon MC, Ahmednagar, Ahmednagar MC, Dhule, Dhule MC, Jalgaon, Jalgaon MC, Nandurbar--reported 1194 fresh COVID-19 cases.

The Pune circle--which includes Pune, PMC, PCMC, Solapur, Solapur MC, Satara--recorded 2999 new cases.

The Kolhapur circle reported 3864 new cases, Aurangabad circle 373, Latur circle 570, Akola circle 718, and Nagpur circle recorded 419 new COVID-19 cases.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray said that although the state has been able to reduce the number of patients while battling the second wave, the danger of the third wave remains. "Just as we monitor the water levels in rivers and dams in our respective areas every monsoon and take immediate steps to evacuate civilians or take other steps if the water-level rises above a certain line, these five levels will determine whether or not to impose restrictions," he added.

Giving instructions to the district admins on Sunday, Thackeray said the war against COVID-19 isn't over yet. He gave strict directions to ensure that restrictions are not relaxed yet and that there will be no crowds in public functions and ceremonies at any level under any circumstances.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in