She also delivered a still-born baby
Mumbai : Eight-month pregnant Pramila Sonkamble (22) was burnt alive by her husband on November 10 after she got into a heated argument with him. Her drunkard husband doused the woman with kerosene and burnt her alive. She has sustained 70 per cent burns and delivered a still-born baby on Friday at Nair Hospital.
“She was burnt alive on November 10 by her husband, following which she was admitted to Ambedkar Hospital. Due to lack of facilities there, she was referred to Nair Hospital and we admitted her on November 14,” said a doctor from the Hospital.
Pramila gave normal birth to a pre-mature baby on Friday night, “We gave her oxytocin due to which she was able to get higher uterine contractions. It was a normal delivery, but must have been hundred times more painful to her as burn injuries hurt the most,” said another doctor from Nair Hospital.
However, the child, the last hope of Pramila, was born dead. “After the birth, the infant’s health was very low, may be due to poor diet and stress. Besides, her mother was on high antibiotics and had respiratory problems due to which the baby might have succumbed to the injuries,” said the doctor.
Pramila’s mother, Laxmi Sonkamble, has been sitting with her daughter and waiting for her recuperation. “She wanted to study and do well in her life. But due to money constraints, we had to get her married. Initially, she was happy. But eventually things started getting worse for her,” said Laxmi.
The family was not aware of her condition and that her husband is a drunkard.
Laxmi said everytime she used to see domestic violence and burn marks on her. “But I had no option. I am a widow and earn meagerly by stitching clothes. I couldn’t have called her back,” said the teary-eyed mother.
“She used to work as a domestic servant even during pregnancy,” said the mother.
The doctors said there are very less chances of Pramila’s survival.
Pramila’s husband is absconding since the day of the incident. “Sushil set her on fire and left home as if nothing had happened. Neighbours took Pramila to hospital,” said Laxmi. A case has been registered at Kandivali police station.