None from the administration come forward to offer help to the grief-stricken kin after Behrampada building collapse
Mumbai: Residents of Behrampada have alleged that no one from the administration has come forward to help them in getting compensation after their houses were destroyed in yesterday’s collapse.
The Behrampada incident had claimed the lives of nine persons on Thursday afternoon after a five storey unauthorised structure collapsed. Interestingly, local politicians who visited the spot to console the families of the deceased, also with the intention to gain publicity, were not entertained by the locals.
Mohammad Yusuf Sayyed, local NCP Corporator, said, “Congress leader Kripashankar Singh visited the spot with his workers. However, he did not offer any help to the deceased family. In fact, it was the local people who were removing the debris and were providing food and water to the affected family.”
A large numbers of locals were a part of the funeral ceremony of the deceased persons on Friday evening, causing a huge traffic jam on the road from Bandra court to Bandra railway station. The families of the deceased were not in a position to talk and only expressed saying, “We did not allow anyone to carry out the post-mortem as our children and other family members were fasting for two days on account of Mohorram.”
Sources said that the Behrampada structure which collapsed had a weak base and was unauthorised. The municipal corporation had been carrying out a major demolition drive from last six months on unauthorised construction and has decided to start demolishing unauthorised slums above 14 feet height from Saturday.
“If the MCGM was aware of the unauthorised construction at Behrampada then why there was no action taken from so many years. The civic body would have disconnected the water or electricity for them,” added Sayyed.