Mumbai: Fire breaks out in Worli's BDD Chawl; 2 women hospitalised

The official said the fire, caused by cooking gas leakage, broke out in a room at BDD Chawl (old multi-storeyed row tenements) in the Worli area at around 4.30 pm.

Sherine RajUpdated: Monday, April 04, 2022, 10:48 PM IST
article-image
Mumbai: Fire breaks out in Worli's BDD Chawl; 2 women hospitalised | File Photo

A level 1 fire broke out at BDD Chawl, Worli on Monday injuring two women.

The fire incident occurred at 4.24 pm at BDD Chawl No.55, G M Bhosale Marg, Jambori Ground, Worli and was caused due to HP gas leakage in the house which caught fire.

The fire brigade and the ambulance were immediately mobilised and the fire was extinguished by 4.42 pm. “The fire was a level one fire therefore it was doused off quickly, only one fire engine was sent to the location. The exact reason for the explosion is not confirmed yet,” said the fire control department.

The two injured due to the incident have been identified as Sunita Vanjari, 47 yrs and Nisha Patakar, 43 yrs.

Currently, Sunita Vanjari has been admitted to Kasturba Hospital while Nisha Patakar has been receiving treatment at Nair hospital.

Dr Avinash, RMO, of Kasturba Hospital, said, “Sunita Vanjari has sustained around 70 to 80% burn injuries and has been admitted in ICU. She is in a critical condition and is undergoing treatment.”

While Dr Sarika, AMO, of Nair Hospital, said that Nisha Patakar, is admitted in ward no. 16 and has complained about breathlessness, giddiness and chest pain but she is in stable condition now.

Ashish Chemburkar, Former Shivsena Corporator of Worli visited the incident spot and the injured at the hospital. While talking about the incident, he said, “The said owners of the flat were not at home. Keys were given at the neighbour’s house. One lady used to clean that house. When she and another lady entered the house suddenly the room caught fire. We don't know the exact reason but after she put on the light, there was a fire explosion, but gas leakage would be a reason. The explosion was so severe, that the clothes hanging in the corridor were also set ablaze. One lady is severely injured and another lady has minor injuries. I along with former Mayor Kishori Pednekar visited Kasturba hospital to see the condition of the woman who has been severely injured.”

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

RECENT STORIES

Gaganyaan: ISRO successfully test-fires low altitude escape motor of crew escape system

Gaganyaan: ISRO successfully test-fires low altitude escape motor of crew escape system

Navi Mumbai: Uran police hold awareness programme as part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav

Navi Mumbai: Uran police hold awareness programme as part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav

Mumbai: Branch of tree falls on parked rickshaw, passengers escape with minor injuries

Mumbai: Branch of tree falls on parked rickshaw, passengers escape with minor injuries

Mumbai: Motorman's alertness averts major accident on Central Railway, here' how

Mumbai: Motorman's alertness averts major accident on Central Railway, here' how

Mumbai: Anti-Narcotics Cell seize 266 kg ganja; two held

Mumbai: Anti-Narcotics Cell seize 266 kg ganja; two held