Mumbai: The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) is almost certain to kick off a political storm with its proposal to have hawking pitches at Dadar’s Keluskar Road, which houses Raj Thackeray’s bungalow ‘Krishnakunja’. Raj-led Maharashtra Navnriman Sena (MNS) party office – ‘Raigad’ situated at Padmabai Thackrey Marg in Dadar also has 100 proposed hawking pitches. therefore, it seems these proposed pitches might create stir as MNS is well known for its violent action against hawkers. Earlier in several parts of Mumbai, Thane and Navi Mumbai districts, MNS party workers had vandalized the stalls of hawkers and eventually the party workers were also sent to jail and later released on bail.
MNS leader and former BMC corporator, Santosh Dhuri has pointed fingers at BMC and stated why the civic body not propose any hawking pitches at Matoshree bungalow the residence of Uddhav Thackeray, Bandra. “BMC should also propose hawking pitches near Thackeray residence, and if they don’t then we won’t allow hawkers near krishnakunj,’ added Dhuri.
Also Read: No Marathi, no banking, Raj Thackeray warns
While Yashwant Jadhav, the Shiv Sena party corporator stated the hawking pitches have been proposed by civic administration no corporator has been involved, therefore if any one has an objection the issue should be in raised in civic corporation house meeting and a proper discussion should be held on it.
All over Mumbai the BMC has identified 89,000 pitches for hawkers however, not a single hawking pitch has been proposed near Matoshree Bungalow located at Kalanagar, Bandra. While Sena’s Party office Sena Bhavan surrounded by three different roads NC Kelkar Marg have 100 pitches, Gokhale Road will have 200 pitches while the Bhavani Shankar Road will have 200 hawking pitches, means around 500 hawkers will do their business at Sena Bhavan.
In addition, the civic body proposes to increase the number of hawkers in Mumbai from 22,097 to 89,797 after it received many applications for licences. While the civic corporation has given January 31, 2018 time period to citizens, individuals, Non Government Organisation (NGO) to give their suggestions and objections on the proposed 89,000 hawking pitches.
Point of contention
- BMC proposes 10 hawking pitches on Dadar’s Keluskar Road, which houses Raj Thackeray’s Bungalow ‘Krishnakunj’.
- Proposed hawking pitches at Raj’s Bungalow and MNS party office likely to create stir.
- MNS vandalised Hawkers’ stalls in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai and Thane, especially after the Elphistone Station stampede which killed 23 people on September 29, 2017. Many MNS party workers were jailed for taking law in hand.
- BMC hasn’t proposed any hawking pitch near Uddhav Thackeray’s bungalow ‘Matoshree’ at Kalanagar.
- BMC proposes 89,000 hawking pitches all over Mumbai.
- Citizens, NGOs’ and others have been given till Januray 31 to give their suggestions and objections on the proposed pitches.