Advertisement

Mumbai: Blaze erupts at Powai mall, fireman injured

The fire spread from a kitchen in the basement to the upper floors. The building was engulfed in smoke.

Staff Reporter | Updated on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 08:28 AM IST

Advertisement

Mumbai: A fire broke out at Central Avenue, Haiko Mall in Powai on Wednesday, at 10.23am. A firefighter was injured during the rescue operation.

The fire spread from a kitchen in the basement to the upper floors. The building was engulfed in smoke. In the process of trying to clear the fumes, a firefighter, Devendra Valmiki Kolhatkar, was suffocated, sustained injuries to his spine and fractured the fingers of his left hand. He had to be rushed to Hirandani Hospital.

“Prima facie reports suggest the fire may have originated and spread due to the accumulation of soot caused by poor maintenance of the kitchen chimney. Electrical appliances were being used for cooking without permission from the fire department.

Hence, instructions have been issued to cut off electricity and water to the mall. An FIR will be lodged against the owner of the stall and the manager of the mall,” said fire officers.

Further, they said, ward authorities razed the weather shed under construction on the open space in front of the mall and said action would be taken under the Maharashtra Fire Prevention & Life Safety Act, 2016, once the probe report is received.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Published on: Thursday, June 20, 2019, 08:28 AM IST