Twenty people were injured, after an explosion occurred following a leakage in an LPG Cylinder on the second floor of the ground plus four-storey residential building in Ganesh Galli, Lalbaug on Sunday morning. Two fire tenders and two jumbo tankers are at the spot. The injured were rushed to nearby KEM and Global hospital in Lower Parel. This is third such incident in the city within a fortnight.
The incident occurred on early Sunday morning on the second floor of the Sarabhai building in the Ganesh Galli area. While 12 of the injured have been rushed to KEM hospital, four were taken to Global hospital in Lower Parel.
According to Mumbai Fire Brigade, a fire call was reported at 7.18 am, following which the firefighting and rescue team reached the spot at 7.35 am. "Since it was an explosion due to leakage, many people were injured. The fire was extinguished by the team at around 7.50 am," said fire brigade personnel on the spot.
According to an eyewitness, there was a foul smell suggesting gas leakage early in the morning from the second floor, a few residents and gathered to inquire with the owner of the house, and got injured in the mishap.
Senior Shiv Sena Corporator Anil Kokil and his team reached the spot and helped with the rescue operation. Kokil said, "Neighbours went to inquire with the owner of the house where the leakage was reported, that is when the explosion occurred. We rushed 16 injured people to the hospital, three of them have been discharged. A few of them are critical and undergoing treatment at KEM hospital," Kokil said.
The Mumbai Fire brigade has cordoned the area, more details awaited.