Mumbai: Taking into consideration the increase in the population by 2031, with the proposed developments taking place in the villages along the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) has reserved a land for affordable housing schemes.
More than 95,000 new houses in the region are expected to be constructed to fulfil the housing requirement. Officials said the housing stock will be constructed and the 25 per cent demand will be fulfilled through affordable housing schemes and the remaining 75 per cent through other market forces.
Officials said, MSRDC can purchase land from private owners or they may be encouraged to undertake construction, so that in exchange they can be given extra built-up area, or transfer of development rights (TDR) or other such incentives which can boost construction of more houses.
To create 25 per cent housing stock which will have approximately 16,000 houses, the MSRDC requires 30 hectares of land. Vijay Waghmare, the joint managing director, MSRDC said, “Already 10 hectares of land has been reserved in the DP 2016-41. The remaining is in process.”
Another official from the MSRDC remarked, 5,000 affordable houses can be built on this reserve land. “These houses will be primarily for the lower income groups. But whether the houses will be constructed under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana or by appointment of a contractor is yet to be decided,” said the official.
After being appointed by the MSRDC in 2016, to conceptualise and design the DP 2016-41 for 71 villages along the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, hearings for the suggestions and objections received begun in the end of March. Waghmare said, “We are expecting to complete the hearings within a month.
We are also showing Google images to help people understand about the plan and in a way, maintain transparency. The MSRDC has also taken drone images while drafting the plan, which is proving to be useful. It brings clarity when conducting the hearings.”
The MSRDC prepared DP covering 186.72 square kilometres of the villages in Panvel and Khalapur talukas. The plan has 138 reservations demarcated on the land, including the central business district, logistics park, women empowerment centre and recreational open space, some of the proposed reservations in the DP.