In a case of food poisoning , over 200 students from Anjuman Nurul Islam High School took ill after having mid-day meal at the institution
Mumbai : In yet another case of food poisoning, over 200 students from Anjuman Nurul Islam High School at Sakinaka, Andheri (East), took ill after having mid-day meal served at the institution.
The children complained of uneasiness and some even started vomiting after consuming cake. They were immediately rushed to the private Paramount Hospital in Sakinaka and civic-run Sant Muktabai Hospital in Ghatkopar. Sixty-five children are recuperating at Muktabai Hospital while over 80 kids were admitted to Paramount Hospital.
Over 20 to 25 kids were also shifted to Dhanwantri and Metro Apex Hospital in Asalpha. A few were admitted to Rajawadi Hospital, Goregaon.
According to a hospital official, “Three students are serious. A few of them have been discharged and others, still vomiting and complaining of stomach ache, are undergoing treatment.”
“My friend Amaan was not feeling well. So, he gave me his muffin. After consuming it, I felt acute pain in my stomach and vomited in the class. The teacher took me to the sick room, where there were already over 20 kids. While they were equally sick, I felt the pain the most and was screaming all the while. I am still feeling drowsy,” said Sabbeer Ahmed, a Class V student.
Over hundred nervous parents flocked the hospital as their children were admitted there. “We were scared after the school authorities informed us about the case. We rushed to the hospital. We have heard about the death of students in Bihar due to mid-day meal. We were scared that this incident might take that big toll,” said Mustafir Sheikh, father of Qasim Sheikh, who was also unwell.
Along with the parents, the teachers and the principal of the school were also present with the kids at the hospital. “We have always taken care of our kids and this is the first time that something like this has happened in the school. Our principal also acted swiftly and ambulances were called in immediately. The parents were also informed. In fact, he has also been around since the incident,” said a teacher from the school requesting anonymity.
Head Master N M Malik said, “Our priority now is to ensure that all our kids get the proper treatment. Staff members who accompanied them to the hospital told me that most of them are now stable. I have also been to the site twice. The real problem will be looked into and solved. We will contact Parivartan Mahila Mandal which supplies midday meal to our school and then see what action we can take.”
According to Rajawadi Hospital Medical Superintendent, Dr Mahendra Wadiwala , a medical team from Kurla’s Bhabha Hospital and Rajawadi Hospital has been sent to Sant Muktabai to gauge the seriousness of the situation. “We will shift some children to some other hospitals if the need arises,” he said.
Some kids were also shifted to Dhanwantri and Metro Apex Hospital in Asalpha for medical treatment. A nurse from Paramount Hospital said, “The children were vomiting constantly. However, we have administered injections and they are recuperating.”
“The content of the muffin may be expired. The quality of milk and eggs used for making it may be very bad. Only a proper scrutiny can identify the real problem. Since the quantity of cake consumed by the children was low, the effect was low. So, all the kids will be out of danger sooner or later,” said Dr Pravin Rathi, gastroenterologist and Head of Department from Nair Hospital.
In a similar case, over 36 people, 33 of them children, were hit by food poisoning after consuming cake in a birthday party at Ulhasnagar two days ago on Saturday. On August 15, nearly 20 students were admitted to hospital after they ate chocolates distributed by their classmate, Vidya Patare, 14, who was celebrating her birthday at Sanket Vidyalaya, Mandapa.
“Abdul Jabbar Kithimbire is the complainant. A FIR has been filed against Ishad Ahmad Ansari and Kasam Ali under Section 273 of the Food and Drug Essential Commodity Act,” said API Keshav Kashar of Sakinaka police station.