Mumbai : The two dead labourers and two others who were hospitalised due to the suspected chemical poisoning in their food have been cooking their meals in the clothes dyeing unit at Dharavi for over a decade now, said one of the victims.

 “Cooking food at a factory unit where such chemicals are used is illegal but there are a lot of things which are illegal in Dharavi and it is not possible for us to keep a tab on them,” said an official from the BMC’s disaster management cell requesting anonymity.

 Sharda Mishra (45) and Ramesh Chamar (40) died while Rajendra Prasad (20) and Ram Gupta (32) suffered grievous injuries after eating dal and chawal.

 All four hail from Uttar Pradesh and work at the dyeing unit for an amounts ranging between Rs 5,000 to 10,000.

 “Ramesh was our cook and had made the dal chawal on that day. We cook our lunch as well as dinner on the 1st floor of the factory for many years now as we have to work there for 12 hours. Chemicals are used on the ground floor and the second floor,” said Ram Gupta, one of the victims.

Senior police inspector, Nandkumar Mhetar of Shahu Nagar said, “As of now we have taken a case of accidental death. We will book the owner of the unit for causing death due to negligence if the food samples sent to the forensic lab show traces of chemicals used at the factory as they cannot cook food at the factory.”

(For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in