Aurangabad : In a classic example of sheer medical negligence a one-inch injection needle was left in the body an infant for few days at the Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) in Latur recently. The male infant is reported to be safe after he underwent a surgery on Saturday.
According to details a pregnant woman Suwarna Sambhaji Jondhale from a village in Udgir tehsil of Latur district was admitted to the maternity ward of GMCH on January 9. Next day she delivered a male child, who showed some symptoms of jaundice, following which he was shifted to ICU of the hospital.
He underwent the necessary treatment and on getting recovered the child was handed over to the mother on January 17 in the evening. The woman was given discharge in the morning next day.
On reaching home on the same day Suwarna noticed the child was constantly crying and noticed that his skin turned reddish. She smeared the medicinal cream on his body and noticed the needle inside his body. The child was admitted to a private hospital in Latur.
The X-Ray test clearly showed the needle and a renowned pediatrician, Dr Mahesh Sonar, performed a necessary surgery and took out the needle from the body of the child on Sunday. Now the child is reported to be out of danger.