Mumbai: Controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik on Thursday accused the Indian government of engaging in a “witch-hunt” and putting pressure on the Interpol to issue a red corner notice against him. In a statement issued here, Naik, who fled India in 2016, said he was aware of the “pressure the Indian government was applying on the Interpol” to issue a red corner notice against him.

“It’s part of an elaborate witch-hunt. But having verified with a few member countries, I can confirm that there is no red corner notice against me as of date,” he claimed. “One of the Indian newspapers seems to have jumped the gun and reported internal deliberations of the Indian government which, as a matter of fact, have been going on for over two years now,” he said.

Naik said the Interpol had already cancelled a red corner notice against him once. “And it’s been one-and-a-half years since the government submitted a charge sheet and started applying pressure on the Interpol,” he said.