Among thirty-nine locals who were admitted at a Jogeshwari hospital late on Sunday, 20 are still under medication
Mumbai : Twenty disciples are still recuperating at BMC’s Trauma Care Centre Hospital in Jogeshwari after suffering from food poisoning during Ganpati visarjan on Sunday. Thirty-nine devotees were rushed to the hospital at around 10.30 on Sunday night after they started vomiting and complained of severe abdominal pain owing to consumption of juice. However, 19 devotees were discharged whereas remaining 20 devotees are said to be in a stable condition and are being closely monitored by the doctors.
The devotees had gone to visit a Ganpati mandal in Meghwadi to enjoy the Ganpati festivities, following which on their way they had juice (sharbat) which was being distributed during the Ganpati immersion process. “My daughter had gone to see the ganpati visarjan along with her friends but after consuming the sharbat, she started vomiting and was brought to the hospital. The doctor said that she is stable now and she might soon be discharged,” said mother of one of the patients.
Sources said that the investigation is underway and the samples of the juice have been sent to the forensic lab and they are awaiting the reports, following which, they will take a call on further probe. Also, a First Information Report (FIR) has been registered.
Dr Shashikant Wadekar, medical superintendent of Trauma Care Centre hospital at Jogeshwari said, “The devotees were brought to the hospital at around 10.30, following which, immediately their treatment was started. So far, 19 patients have been discharged and the others are in a stable condition but we are closely monitoring them. Of which, 13 are adults (male- five and female- eight) whereas seven (male- four and female-three) are children aged between three to 12 years.”