Advertisement

COVID-19: Maharashtra govt revises ratio of oxygen supply; 80% supply for medical and 20% for industrial use

Sanjay Jog | Updated on: Thursday, June 03, 2021, 06:14 PM IST

AFP Photo
AFP Photo
Advertisement

The government of Maharashtra today revised its ratio of oxygen supply observing a dip in frehs COVID-19 cases. As per the notice issued by the state government, now 80% of oxygen will be supplied for medical while remaining 20% for industrial use.

Earlier, when the state was witnessing a massive surge in cases and reporting nearly 50,000 cases on daily basis the demand for oxygen was too high due to which the government had directed 100% oxygen supply for medical use.

In a notice, the government said, after daily review of spread of Covid-19 infection, recovery rate and requirement of medical Oxygen to the patients, it is noticed that in the last week of month of May, 2021 recovery rate is much higher than the infection rate and total requirement of medical Oxygen has been reduced.

"Whereas now with unlock process the industries are also starting up hence considering this, now govt has decided to revise the ratio of supply of oxygen from production units located within state of Maharashtra between hospital and industries," the notice added.

The govt in the notice further instructed the following

1. They should ensure that production of Oxygen is uninterrupted and as per their maximum production capacity.

2. 80% of production to be used only for Medical Oxygen and to be supplied to the hospitals in Maharashtra.

3. Production units can divert only up to 20% of Oxygen generated to industrial use.

4. Priority shall be given to supply to hospitals vis a vis industries in case need arises even if the proportion of Medical Oxygen goes beyond 20%

The daily COVID-19 cases in Maharashtra have started showing a downward trend. The state on Wednesday recorded 15,169 fresh cases, taking the number of active cases to 2,16,016. Besides, 285 COVID-19 deaths were reported in the day, taking the number of total fatalities to 96,751.

29,270 patients were discharged in the day, taking the tally to 54,60,589. The recovery rate in the state rose to 94.54%. The case fatality rate in the state is 1.67%.

Currently, 16,87,643 people are in home quarantine and 7,418 people are in institutional quarantine.

Advertisement

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Published on: Thursday, June 03, 2021, 06:14 PM IST