The investigative agency says it could not find sufficient evidence against any of the accused
Mumbai : The CBI on Monday told a court in Pune that after four years of probe, it had not found any evidence against the accused in the case related to murder of RTI activist Satish Shetty. “CBI…could not find sufficient/prosecutable evidence against any of the accused. Subsequent to this, closure report in the case was filed today,” the agency said in a statement.
Shetty (39), a Right to Information activist, was stabbed to death on January 13, 2010 as he stepped out of his house in Talegaon near Pune for a morning walk. The case was transferred to CBI after Shetty’s brother Sandeep moved the Bombay High Court. The Pune rural police had arrested six persons before that; all of them are out on bail. The CBI also said that last week Bombay High Court referred to it a related case of land dispute, being investigated by the local police, on the agency’s request. “This case is also said to have some relation with the murder case of Shetty. If new evidence comes to notice, CBI will re-open investigation in the case,” the agency said.
When sought the reaction, Sandeep Shetty told PTI that “decision to file closure report is arbitrary and amounts to contempt to the HC directives”.
Shetty also alleged that this decision was directly linked to change of government at the Centre.