Advertisement

FPJ Legal: Maharashtra govt moves SC over its de-notification of OBC quota in local body polls; plea to be heard on January 19

FPJ Bureau | Updated on: Monday, January 17, 2022, 11:24 PM IST

Supreme Court | PTI
Supreme Court | PTI
Advertisement

The Supreme Court on Monday agreed to hear on Wednesday the Maharashtra government's plea to recall its December 15 order by which it had quashed 27% OBC seats in the elections of the local bodies. Maharashtra's counsel mentioned the plea before a Bench headed by Justice AM Khanwilkar against the court's order to notify the reserved seats as general and then hold the elections. He said: “We have filed an application seeking the recall of the order dated December 15. Can it be taken up urgently on Friday or Wednesday?” The two other judges on the Bench were Justices Dinesh Maheshwari and CT Ravikumar.

In its order on December 15, the apex court had directed the Maharashtra State Election Commission (SEC) to renotify the 27% OBC constituencies as general seats and resume the election process along with the remaining 73% seats.

The Supreme Court had held that the state government's decision was violative of its March judgment requiring triple test to justify the reservation for the OBCs.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Published on: Monday, January 17, 2022, 11:24 PM IST