When someone expresses love to you, what do you do?
- You do not know how to respond.
- You feel obliged and bound.
- You shrink or shy away.
- You feel foolish and awkward.
- You try to reciprocate even though it is not genuine.
- You doubt the love expressed and you doubt your own worthiness.
- You are afraid of losing respect because love does not allow distance and respect tends to keep a distance.
- Your ego hardens and does not allow you to receive and reciprocate.
The ability to receive genuine love comes with the ability to give love. The more you are centred and know by experience that you are love, the more you feel at home with any amount of love being expressed in any manner, for deep inside, you know love is not an emotion. It is your very existence.
November 6, 1997
Joy is love for what is. Sorrow is love for what is not.