Indore/Bhopal: INDORE, the cleanest city of the country, is now the smartest too. The city shared the top position with Surat for best performance among 100 smartest cities for their overall performance in 2020. In fact, state bagged awards in 11 categories.
The state, Madhya Pradesh, stood second in state category. Uttar Pradesh was ranked as the best performing state with respect to Smart City Mission.
Surat was the sole winner among smart cities in 2019 but Indore shared the top slot with it in 2020 contest. Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs on Friday awarded states, cities and Union Territories based on performance under the Smart Cities Mission’s India Smart Cities Awards Contest (ISAC) 2020.
Indore won best award in seven different categories to reach the first position. Another important city of MP, Bhopal, managed to win one award. However, it had to share it with Chennai.
Jabalpur, Sagar and Gwalior also managed to secure award in different categories. Total five cities of the state figured into the list of awards.
The Smart City Mission has completed six years. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan and urban development and housing minister Bhupendra Singh congratulated the state team and people of the winning cities for their contribution.
INDORE bags top rank for 56 Dukan project
---Converting Chhapan Dukan (street of snacks) into ‘smart food street’ fetched Indore top rank under Built Environment Theme. “ChhapanDukan project was adjudged the best under Built Environment Theme,” said municipal commissioner Pratibha Pal.
· In the round -1 city award, Indore secured first position in the country, while Jabalpur stood third.
· Indore and Tirupati city shared first position in Municipal Waste Management System theme.
· Under the cultural theme, Indore stood first in ‘Conservation of Built Heritage’
· Under the Economy Theme, Indore scored first in the country for ‘Carbon Credit Financing Mechanism’.
- Under the Innovation Idea Award Theme, Indore has scored first position in the country for preparing ‘Carbon Credit Financing Mechanism’.
Bhopal bags one award and shares it with Chennai
State capital Bhopal bagged one award and had to share it with Chennai under the Urban Environment Theme, ‘Clean Energy’. Apart from it, the City of Lakes remained backbencher in the award list. Owing to lack of administrative commitment and public participation, the city had to remain satisfied with only one award.In the round-3 cities, Sagar received the second position.Gwalior third in Digital Museum’ category.