If numbers are an indicator, city appears to have become dog-friendly. About 30 dogs were taken to Government Veterinary Hospital last year due to skin infection from Holi colours. This number came down to four this year. The fall in number of dogs affected by colours is almost 86 percent.
MP Police Assistance Centre against Animal Cruelties state coordinator Priyanshu Jain said city has shown impressive improvement in controlling colouring animals on Holi. “We got cases only from Musakhedi and Scheme No 78 this year.
Last year, the cases were reported from most colonies. We hope people will refrain from harming animals on Rang Panchami too,” she added. The risk of animals, specifically dogs getting coloured is high in Rajwada due to coloured water thrown in ‘gairs’.
How colours affect dogs?
According to veterinarians :
- To think that dry colours (gulal) do not harm dogs is a misconception. Dry colours contain chemicals, metal oxides, lead, mica and glass pieces too. Harmful substances cause skin diseases, which can be life threatening.
- Unlike humans, dogs don’t have sweat glands to remove toxin. Hence, their body absorbs all chemicals.
- Colours on a dog’s body causes itching that leads to dermatitis, which can be painful. To avoid itching, dogs lick colour and end up ingesting them. This disturbs their digestion, turns allergies into infection and wounds, which attracts fleas and more diseases.
* Colours in air result in respiratory discomfort. Organic colours are equally harmful for animals as their immune system cannot fight foreign substances like humans.