‘Won’t succumb to media pressure’

Censor board chief Pahlaj Nihalani said that while he supports women empowerment, he doesn’t believe that the film is taking the right approach.

New Delhi : Pahlaj Nihalani has finally addressed the controversy around the upcoming Pra-kash Jha film, ‘Lipstick Under My Burkha’. The Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) chief said that while he supports women empowerment, he doesn’t believe that the film is taking the right approach. He also said that he would “not succumb to social media pressure”.

The statement comes after the censor board refused to certify ‘Lipstick Under My Burkha’ for its reported “sexual scenes, abusive words and audio pornography”. The movie’s trailer had garnered praises from the film fraternity.

Talking exclusively to ANI, Nihalani said, “No one knows the process for certification of films and CBFC will not work in any kind of pressure from media or social media. CBFC has the responsibility of certifying films and it also has guidelines which we all follow. If the movie is not according to the three ratings that we have — U, U/A or A — we can refuse that film.”

 “We see a total of 2,500 films in a year, 82 per cent of these movies were passed without even a single cut. From the remaining 18 per cent of the movies, 2 per cent have gone to the revising committee and then to the tribunal. If one movie, out of 2,500 does not get a certificate, there is no point of making it an issue,” he added.

The CBFC chairperson emphasised that certification of movies is very important and the treatment given to the issue in ‘Lipstick Under My Burkha’ wasn’t appropriate. “We only have objection with the content of the movie. We gave the movie back to the filmmaker and said to show the picture to FCAT,” Nihalani said. —ANI

(For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in