Thiruvananthapuram: A 40-year-old wild elephant and sambar deer were electrocuted in Thenmala Forest Division near here, officials said today.
The carcasses were found at Nagamala forest under the division, yesterday.
Forest department officials suspect that the accident occurred when the animals came into contact with a live wire, which snapped in the downpour.
“The carcasses had burn marks. We came to known about the incident after the electricity department officials visited the spot to repair the electric line,” range officer S V Vinod told PTI.
He ruled out poaching bid as the tusks of the jumbo were intact. After post-mortem, the carcasses were cremated in the forests, he added.